February 10, 2009

I ask you sir, what sort of a word is that?

I just used the phrase 'shizzle in the hizzle' with someone I work with. Who do I think I am? Snoop KLP? Thank goodness this co-worker already thinks that I'm 'da bomb'. But we both left the conversation feeling that I had awkwardly stumbled through that phrase. I acknowledge that I'm not 'hip' enough to know what the 'cool cats' are saying these days so I looked up their definitions.

Shizzle - Slang term for "sure", I concur.
Hizzle - House, home, where you live or alternately 'hook' ie: 'off the hook'

Examples: "What be the shizzle at the hizzle?" or "That's off the hizzle fo' shizzle dizzle." Dizzle being dawg. (Dawg being dude/man/buddy. That translation is for my Mom. Hi Mom! That University degree went a long way, eh?)

I'm 99% sure I didn't use these words correctly (there is always that grey area in the English language). My translation was "You still have sure in your house/hook". But thankfully I didn't offended anyone. Well except Henry Higgins, who thinks I should be taken out and hung for murder of the English tongue.

This is a for shizzle sign that I should give up caffeine after 4pm.

No comments: