May 27, 2008

No Rings in Narnia

J: I’ll see whatever movie you want to see. I don’t want to force you into anything.
K: What are you talking about? When have you ever forced me to see a movie?
J: The 3 Lord of the Rings movies. You hated them
K: I didn’t hate them. They were good. They were long but they were good.
J: No, you didn’t like them at all.
K: I was fine with them. It was the ring-thing that had me all confused. Why did it say ‘Rings’ when there was only one ring?
J: because there were other rings.
K: Right at one time, but there was only the one ring in the movie
J: No, there were 3 other rings and then the master ring. The leader of the Elves had one, Cate Blanchette had one. Maybe the dwarfs had the third one?
K: Wait a minute. There were 3? They should have pointed that out more. So he was destroying the master ring?
J: Yes because the master ring had the power to control the other rings and the people that wore the rings.
K: Oh. Ok. That third movie was really long. And they could have done a better job of explaining the ring thing to those of us who hadn’t read the book.
J: Yes. So pick a movie, I don’t want to be responsible if it’s bad.
K: Ok, how about Narnia?
J: Oh, I was hoping you’d say that, I really want to see it! But only if you do, I don’t…
K: It won’t be your fault if it’s bad. At least I remember some of the first one. There are no rings right?

Narnia was good. Jen said that she wouldn’t take her nieces and nephews to see it because of all the fighting. I think a lot of kids are desensitized to fighting (video games etc) because there were a lot of kids and parents there. It wasn’t bloody, but there was A LOT of fighting. If they’d taken some fighting out and put more dialogue/plot in I think it would have been a better movie. I haven’t read the books so I don’t know if there was more story to choose from. Overall Grade: C

No comments: